04-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #78
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I weighed stuff as I removed it, check out this thread...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=971140

I would keep a close eye on the rod bearings. Oil analysis will tell you most of the story. According to a master tech and many other familiar with the S54 (non-internet types)...100k miles is typical for the rod bearings. My engine is being refreshed as we speak...102k on the clock. The internals looked good...just the bearings were shot. Preventive replacement before they knock will save you the pain of turning the crankshaft (engine removal). I've also learned that although the clearance spec is .003 - .007 that .006 is no good. Still got off lucky...spun 3 bearings!

For suspension, I'd recommend setting the height so there is no rake. You need all of the travel you can get in the front suspension. Typically, a well setup E46 tucks the rear wheels and has fender gap at the front wheels. When you put it on the scales I'm willing to bet that you'll be pretty damned close to 50/50 cross weights. Many will say no but a little toe out in the front will give the car a crisp turn in and makes it easier to rotate the car (I didn't say oversteer). But I wouldn't do this if you run on tracks that have really long straights as the toe out will heat up more and increase wear.

thanks jay. will look into getting bearings done. as for suspension that sounds about how its set now. i have more front then rear gap and the rear is fairly tucked. my alignment is going to be similar to before with more negative obviously. -3.5ish front -2.2 rear with slight toe in rear and neutral front.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0