View Single Post
      02-18-2022, 07:23 AM   #8
TohaFzv
Rep
Drives: 2017 540ix M-sport

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. Updated as of right now:

- The dealership said they won't take any responsibility since the car has now been to Indy shops. Problem is that I tried working with them but they pretty much kicked me out of the dealership because they kept claiming the brakes work as they should while I kept saying they performed differently right before I dropped the car off for the fluid change. So in the end they said there's nothing else they can/are willing to do and I had no other choice other than going to an Indy shop

- I brought up my theory that there might be air in the abs system to the Indy shop but they said that though it could be the case for older bmw models such as e90 chassis, the way the brake system works on the g30 there's no way for air to be trapped in the abs system (would love to hear if someone can either approve or disprove this).

- To my thought that there might've been air trapped in the master cylinder, the shop said it's highly unluckily mainly because if there was air there would be inadequate pressure in the brake system and the sensors would've picked it up and thrown a code. Can anyone comment on this? Should there be any sensors right before or after the master brake cylinder?

- One of the shops I went to suggested that the brake pads can be glazed causing bad initial brake bite. I'm yet to try and change brake pads because I don't want to change any variables to try and isolate this bad pedal feel issue first. The brake pads aren't super worn out, they're within spec. And nothing changed since I dropped the car off about the brakes system other than the fluid flush. Though the shop suggested that the dealership could've somehow glazed the pads while test driving the car after the fluid flush.
To this pad glazing theory, I also feel like the pedal doesn't feel right even when the car is stationary. When I get in the car and put my foot on the brake to start it, the pedal hasn't been feeling right after the dealership flushed the fluid. Both before and after I start the engine.

Finally, I would like to ask you guys to share how your brake pedal feels:
1) When the car is stationary, Is the pedal very light? I'm able to press my down with very very light resistance and it's even resistance all the way down
2) While driving, first 10-15% of pedal travel, how much do the brakes bite? On my car (after the fluid flush) it feels like first 10-15% of brake travel give you 1-2% of brake engagement. I can hardly even tell if there's any brake engagement at all other than the brake lights coming on in the rear.
3) While stopping at the light or stop sign are the brakes so soft that the car is easy to stop without a "jerk" in the end? Before the brake fluid change I felt like the brakes were so grabby you had to try hard to stop smoothly. Now my g30 feels like a Lexus or an s-class brakes wise, it's now hard to make it jerk while stopping. It stops super smoothly, which doesn't feel right at all for a performance oriented car with optional sport brake system. This point kind of supports the theory of glazed brake pads but again the brake pad variable didn't change since this issue occurred unless they magically got glazed on a test drive.

I'm also curious if there are any g30 owners (ideally with m sport brakes) in the south eastern Wisconsin/north eastern Illinois that would be willing to meet and test drive my car? I'd be very curious to see if someone who's familiar with this car can confirm what I feel.

Thanks again for everyone taking their time to make suggestion. Truly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0