05-06-2021, 08:02 PM   #26
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Reynolds View Post
I watch these types of videos and read posts about owners who love their cars for the same reasons I do - only to come away depressed that my tax dollars are being used to promote electric vehicles - the so-called future.

While I don't have a problem with electric vehicles per se, I don't want ICE to go away, nor do I care for neutered marquee cars like an AMG 63 with a 4cylinder hybrid. I want a v8 roar! And no, this isn't like the horse/buggy giving way to the ICE. That was market forces. There wasn't gov't intervention forcing the change. My 6 year old son always talks of owning a v12, all the cars he draws are v12's as is what he builds out of Legos...provided he can earn the money he too should be able to buy an old m8 E31 v12 and suffer the horrors of ownership yet enjoying the occasional afternoon in the twisties where everything works The problem will be registration or the lack thereof many years from now.

The tech involved in electric and hybrid is quite impressive to be frank. That said, the notion that v8's and even i6's will be collectors cars just rubs me raw given that I don't want that yet I'm paying for precisely that.
I dont think ICE cars will ever go away. I think it will move to a niche market for enthusiasts. I look at it much like the "Quarttz Crisis" in the watch making industry in the mid 70s. It just about ended mechanical watch making craftsmanship and the Swiss watchmaking industry almost went belly up...but it pulled through and now mechanical watches are sought after by watch collectors and aficionados and live happily together in the same market space with quartz watches. There can be room for both.
Appreciate 0