11-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #61
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
perhaps I cannot explain it well enough but people are free to believe whoever they want! Nothing off me if you want to believe engine torque at the wheels has nothing to do with hp. No big deal to me!
Take a look at this article... HP is determined by the torque the engine produces at a given engine speed and NOT the other way around... it's a good read actually. An engine that can produce more torque can produce more HP at a given RPM. As the article quotes... torque is measured and HP is calculated.

Torque to the wheels also takes into account gearing but, to keep this less complex, let's ignore this. This is also why HP increases to redline (as RPMs increase) whereas engine torque is usually more constant.

Relationship of torque to HP

P.S. It isn't about people "believing what they want" as you say, it is about having a meaningful discussion that brings out the correct information that members benefit from. Most here don't care if their opinion is right or wrong as long as the discussion gets to the right answer for all to benefit from.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 11-27-2011 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0