View Single Post
      08-03-2023, 02:10 PM   #53
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Yep, I know both sides of the coin. People who couldn't afford college, so didn't go, and also some who couldn't afford a name brand school, but went to that name brand school instead of community college. Then they graduated in basket weaving with $100k in debt and are mad they work at Starbucks.

I work at a University, and think education is important. The right education being most important. Many people enroll in classes only to drop out or change majors 10 times because not enough work experience is encouraged before college. Students are just told to major in whatever they "like to do" and we all know how that goes. I think the trades are an option that was overlooked for way too long by my generation (influenced by our parents) and we are all paying for it now.
I guess that's the real question then... should a worthless college degree exist in college and be subsidized by the govt in the form of a loan... in other countries, education is nearly free, so it doesn't really matter... there is little risk outside of later not finding a job.

Here the risk is falling into lifelong debt and not having a job... again, this is only true in the US - remember that.