12-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #95
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM340 View Post
Very astute points. Very unlike what Porsche has done (I see you have one) by staying and morphing what is already a winning design. I just purchased a 2021 M340 but it will be my last BMW. Next car will be a late teens Porsche 911 Carrera S. Don't want a silent car and thankfully I will die before everyone is forced to drive one LOL!
Porsche made mistakes too (early electric steering, 4 cylinder 718) but they have managed the transition into the turbo era much more effectively than BMW. They are a much lower volume manufacturer though and have higher margins. The fact they still make atmospheric engines for their GT cars shows there are still real car people in the business.

If BMW weren't hamstrung by emissions regs and still had engineers at the helm they would be in a much better place. The f8x would of been a 4.5L N/A S68 or something similar. Most of their recent problems are entirely of their own making though (horrendous g8x design, dropping DCT, increased weight, garbage marketing etc.) Luckily M has a fantastic back catalog of cars to choose from.

I think the M340i is actually the current sweet spot of the BMW lineup, the B58 is a fantastic engine. Great chassis, comfortable, quiet, good tech. Shame they dropped the manual. I really like my 330i for what it is. But when I look at M division now, nothing really appeals. I had an M2C and didn't gel with it, good car but overhyped.
Appreciate 1
MBM3401026.00