12-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #197
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Intent no, but it is irrational. It is called faith for a reason, you are asked to have faith because there's no rational evidence, if there was, it would not be called faith

In the context of the OP, I think it's irrelevant unless there is a conflict within the marriage re. incompatible religious beliefs. That's gonna cause issues though TBH my wife is a luke warm catholic and I was raised catholic (Croatian and Maltese respectively ) but I made it clear I will not get in the way of communion etc , I want zero to do with it other than the final ceremony and so far it has been pretty much a non issue.
If deviation from intent, I’d blame humanity and not the faith. Your definition is yours to hold, but not one I subscribe to. I take the textual approach “ King James Bible -Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

As for the cause of divorce, it’s hardly irrelevant to the rest of the world. In fact, in one study 13% of marriages cited religious differences, or number 11 in terms of ranked reasons. While I am quite glad for you that you have worked it out, many others cannot. Faith is often tied to convictions, a step beyond most beliefs thus, tied to what is important to many at their core. I would argue atheism’s religion is of equal or greater importance, strictly from my observations.
Appreciate 0