07-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Tell that to the 2020 MKV Supra owners. 2021 makes more power, different cylinder head entirely, different turbo, different suspension, big infotainment only, etc. They got hosed.
So here are the differences between the '20 and '21 Supra:

From Auto Blog. "There’s more news for the 2021 Supra than just the four-cylinder, though. Toyota has upped the power output for the inline-six from 335 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque to 382 ponies and 368 pound-feet. You may recall those figures as the exact same numbers as the BMW Z4 M40i. Toyota claims the added power drops the 0-60 mph time from 4.1 seconds to 3.9 seconds. That extra power is thanks to a new dual-branch exhaust manifold that has six ports instead of two. A different piston design allowed the compression ratio to be dropped from 11:1 to 10.2:1, as well.

On top of the extra power, Toyota also re-tuned the chassis by increasing roll resistance by adding aluminum bracing in the engine bay between the strut towers and radiator support, fitting new bump stops and tweaking the damper tuning. Additionally, Toyota re-tuned the electric power steering system, adaptive suspension, stability control and the active differential. Toyota is claiming that the 2021 car is more stable through quick transitions. Lastly, there's a tech update, as Toyota has made the 8.8-inch infotainment standard, discontinuing the 6.5-inch screen."

So those are production changes to uplevel performance of the vehicle to improve its desirability to the consumer and not necessarily redesigns of parts to improve the build quality of the vehicle. The old adage of "don't buy a first-year production of anything" refers to the overall build quality of the vehicle. All cars get updated to improve performance or reduce manufacturing costs. It is well known that the E9X got de-contented over time as the currency changes between the US dollar and the EU Euro made BMWs more expensive to produce.

Changes to the Supra are not really any different than the E90 325i and the 328i once the 330i was dropped for the 335i.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0