View Single Post
      08-29-2023, 12:27 PM   #5
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

All of the current crop of SLRs and mirrorless camera take great quality pictures, so it comes down to your wife’s preferences.

First question - does she really want to play with all the settings to improve her pictures, and use zoom lenses and other optics? iPhones do all the settings automatically, and they are easy to carry and use. Cameras give you much more flexibility, but most can also be left on auto and work similarly to an iPhone. However, cameras are also much larger to carry, so she might not always want to take one along.

Buying a Leica, or especially a Hasselblad, is like starting your wife out with an M5 because she wants to learn more about driving. There are many other high quality cameras at a lower price point.

I would start her out with a small mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses as a start. In the old days I would start out with used equipment, but most used is selling at top prices, so new may be better. A Fujifilm or Sony with a zoom kit lens would be an excellent start. Fuji uses more of a retro style for most of their cameras, while Sony is more modern looking.

If she wants to learn a lot about photography and camera settings, the Fuji X-T5 with a zoom lens is an excellent choice. All the key settings can be made with manual dials, or you can leave it all or partially on automatic. It’s like buying a car with a manual transmission in a world where everyone else only has automatic transmissions. However, if you decide to tweak all the settings to the Nth degree you can make it more complicated to “tune” than most computers.
Appreciate 3