Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonBurdier View Post
I've done some research on the subframe issue, but I'm not completely informed about it yet. So if the subframe cracks can it be fixed and be good forever, or will it always be an issue?
Subframe can be easily fixed forever, but it is not by the plates most people weld in.

If I were buying an e46 M3, at a minimum I'd inject structural foam in the subframe mounts ($150, 20 min), and lock down the vanos (Beisan pump disk ($150), 3 hours) and loctite the cam bolts ($1, 5 min extra if you're doing the pump disk).

That covers off all the catastrophic failure modes that can cost you (though I'd do the other vanos stuff while in there-- cheap, low effort when you're already doing the other stuff, beneficial).

Rod bearings I'd do as oil analysis says they're needed-- they're based on driving cycle, and can last from 50,000 miles (pure track cars) to 300,000+ miles (not reved out street cars). Mine came due at ~125,000 miles (including ~9000 track miles). Happily, they don't fail spontaneously like the S65.

Cooling system should be replaced at 100,000 intervals miles (true of any BMW).

All bearings/bushings/ball joints in the suspension should be replaced at 100,000 mile intervals (true of any BMW, if you want it to drive like new).

If you're planning on turboing it (you mentioned it), since that adds a LOT of torque, I might do a more bomb proof subframe lock down-- something like the Mason Bar, VinceSE2's solution, or integrating it into a roll bar.

Personally, I find the e46 far more fun than the e9X, but the e9X is certainly more comfortable. In many ways, the e46 is the more hard core M3-- harshest ride quality (stock), highest specific NA HP output, highest specific NA torque output, highest piston speeds, harshest automatic offered, most funny noises. The e9X is probably the easiest/most comfortable generation of M3, and, clearly, faster than the e46, stock vs stock. Depends what you want from a car.

The e46 is undoubtedly a more enjoyable car to work on-- every time I work on my wife's e9X, I want to sell it and replace it with an older car. Relevant, since you're looking for a project. It also has pretty unrivaled (at least within the world of BMW) aftermarket support-- pretty much every part of the car has multiple aftermarket alternatives, letting you make the car be whatever you want it to be.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 07-28-2016 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0