Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
A lot of people mention the $20k rule of thumb: you'll spend a total of $20k if you want to bring the car back to good shape. So if you buy a $13k car, expect to spend $7 fixing it up. $17k car, expect to spend $3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonBurdier View Post
I've done some research on the subframe issue, but I'm not completely informed about it yet. So if the subframe cracks can it be fixed and be good forever, or will it always be an issue?
It seems like a never ending problem. Some people who had reinforcement plates welded in are experiencing cracking in other areas of the RACP. And let's not forget about the potential hidden cracks in areas you cannot see. There's a guy on M3F who is converting his car to a NASA race car, and he is finding cracking in hidden places while cutting the RACP up to install roll cage.

What I have done so far is epoxy in TMS plates; my car had no cracks. I will also do further reinforcing in the future, Mason bar and/or Vince method reinforcement. I would stay away from foam. If RACP cracks after foam injection, you'll have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonBurdier View Post
Assuming that I find a decent car for 15k do you think that I should replace some of these as a precaution, or should it be done as they start having issues?
Assuming no service history, change oil right away and have oil analyzed by Blackstone. For a 2002-2006 car, should address VANOS soon. If no subframe mount reinforcement, remove subframe to thoroughly inspect RACP and reinforce if needed/wanted. If there are no cracks, I don't see any reason to reinforce right away. I drove my car on the street (kinda hard) for 1.5 years and ~6k miles before reinforcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry-m3 View Post
Since you're tracking the car subframe should addressed right away.
This is wrong. It's usually cars that are constantly launched hard from a stop that experience subframe mount issues. The forces from a hard launch are higher than any stressing you'll see at the track. I would still reinforce the subframe mounts.
Appreciate 0