View Single Post
      09-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
nitrojunky
Private
Rep
Drives: C6Z, 335i, e90M

i disagree with the claim of the Z having excessive mechanical issues. the LS7 no doubt has the exhaust valve guide issue, but apart from that, the earlier models' longblocks and drivetrains are pretty bullet proof. there is a particular build date range which needs new rocker arms (from 2007) and some of the very recent examples had a quality control issue with the rods' CrN coating. but excepting the exhaust valve guide issue, i don't believe the car is worse than average reliability, especially at the performance level. i've put >15kmiles on mine and the only repair it's had is a compressor replacement for the (common) compressor noise, and this is the only super common issue i can recall. i did it when i had the heads out and so didn't have to do a ton of labor. other than that and the heads, no repairs to the car.

other items i can think of: if abusing the car on a drag strip early models will want C5Z(?) half shafts. clutch bleeder location is asinine, but the 'ranger' method gets the job done. also, if you plan to track an early model with R compound rubber, you will want to upgrade the oil tank to the larger new version.

i can think of several very common and annoying (but cheap to fix if you know what you're doing) C5 issues including rocking chairs, possessed windshield wipers, pull key wait 10 seconds, 1014 code, plastic headlight gears, etc., but none of these exist for the C6. the only equivalent that comes to mind is the aforementioned AC compressor noise issue. apart from that, seems like a 'normal' car for reliability.
Appreciate 0