View Single Post
      04-09-2024, 02:14 PM   #9
RalliartRsX
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2010

1. What is considered to be high mileage on them?
- I tracked my S54 with 175k miles and kicking. 2 years, oil changes and tracked in as high as 99-100 degree ambient in NJMP last summer and it never skipped a beat. Stock oil cooler, Koyo rad and made sure ALL ducting was in place. 240/240 max temps all day long. 6- 10 track days (4x20 min sessions a day, 2 days a weekend per trackday)

2. How much should I expect to pay to have the rod bearings replaced on both, since that seems to be a common issue on both of them?
- Anywhere from 1600 - 2500. Who knows. I did mine myself with basic tools and proper calibrated torque wrench

3. I know the e46 VANOS is fairly DIYable, but what about the e46? Is it even a problem on them?
- S54 requires a few extra steps and timing tool. However, S54 is a better engine and much more updated

3. Ongoing cost expectations.
- E46 would be higher, only slighty due to weight. However, E46 M3 brakes and everything else is "larger" and more specced to handle track duty and weight

4. Cost of engine work, should I need it, eg, would the S54 be more expensive to have work done than the S52? If so, by a lot?
- S54 was very affordable. Intake, Tune, exhaust and 320 WHP all day long reliable power.

5. Any oiling issues to be aware on either of them, eg oil starvation or cooling issues?
- S54 has a MUCH and vast superior oil pump (2 pickup system) than the S52 with a much better baffled pan. S54 hands down

6. Any likely transmission or differential issues.
- None

7. At what mileage should I expect piston rings to be problematic?
- Huh?? Never heard of such an issue with either engines

8. How many miles on valve train before needing a valve job?
- Check with BMW. S54 has a closer interval than S52. S52, have no idea. With that said, never did a valve job in my high mileage (175K) S54 and tracked it heavily. And last I checked, the new own has done similar the last year

9. How many miles can the time chain(s) take before they need replaced?
- S54; never replaced.

10. How much should I expect to pay to have trailing arm mount reinforcement done?
- Call around. I never reinforced mine. Not an issue without aero and hoosier grip levels. I reinforced RACP myself with Turner plates

11. Anything else you can think of.
- S54 hands down is a better engine in every aspect than S52. E46 is a stiffer, more up to date chassis with better brakes and ability to stuff larger tires than E36
Appreciate 1
tjbuggy2b193.00