View Single Post
      01-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #33
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

NYS is vaccinating outside the group. This is for providers (direct firsthand) and community members (good official info). The county also has them for first responders and front line personnel including volunteers, trainees, etc. I'm sure there will be wastage, but not on a grand scale, and not likely in hospitals (probably more likely at the local pharmacies, doctors offices, etc). At the hospital they are even using the extras in the vials to create more vaccinations than 'doses'. The real issue is that the perishability limits setting up shot clinics b/c they need to guarantee enough bodies to not have waste. The county is reportedly doing a wait-list program for this - people can come line up for any unused shots at the end of the scheduled day.

My 'idealistic view' is more of realistic anticipation (but I'm often told I have an unrealistic impression of my own opinion). Eventually (like in a week or so) there will be more national organization. What is anticipated is that once we pry the fingers of every local politico off of the supply stream, they will settle into a system where higher priority people can basically jump to the head of an ongoing line - high tech stuff like you see at an amusement park. But it will take a little more than just raising your hand and saying 'I have a condition', you'll need some kind of documentation. Current word is that this will be driven by- or through local physician groups; believe me that the cancer docs (and the rest of them) are just as pissed as you are that they can't just get their patients a shot, and that is going to be changing fairly soon. So bust out your HMO list of approved providers, and make a few phone calls. They may take you as a patient via telehealth if you really do have good docs and ongoing treatment program in another area.

Last edited by Maynard; 01-17-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0