View Single Post
      08-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
aermet
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
@aermet, I think the difference is that he is using the new ISSS / ISTA software and we are still using the older NCS / WinKFP software. With the older software it is very easy to read your VO (from the car), add the new option ($6NR in this case), then write the new VO back to the car. Once the car has the new VO, you will need to update the modules based on the new VO. This will load the new defaults for the new VO, adding the options and needed coding for BMW Apps. Alternately you could just code in BMW Apps by activating the needed functions. Again this is all assuming you have the needed firmware version in your modules.

I have no idea how the new software works that your tech friend has. Therefore I don't know what he might need to do but I highly doubt he'll have to get a code from BMW because the code is already known.

First you need to know if your up to the correct firmware levels and then go from there. Might check if there is anyone local that has the old software. Checking the levels is an easy read of the modules and adding to the VO and recoding is pretty straight forward too. If I had the correct firmware levels, I'd have Apps by now but unfortunately I need the more intensive firmware update first.
My car literally just got off the boat last week, so my assumption is that it has the CIC.16 you referred to. I'll confirm that this coming week.

Had a long chat with him today in front of the computer. Please allow me to try to explain what I gleaned from the conversation.

He showed me on one computer screen (unfortunately I don't know the version or acronyms) the flow chart type layout with squares representing all the modules in a given car. He said that when a car is plugged in, each module shows what is possible to program. If there is a retrofit or other possible options to program into a module, the screen will show the options. 6NR, not being a supported retrofit, does not show as an option to be added as of yet.

Their particular store has a programming tech who does almost all of the programming, and with whom I'm acquainted, and I'll chat with him next week. I will inquire and mention the NCA/WIN and see what I find out.

It appears to me that at the dealership level, they appear to somewhat have their hands tied as to what their hardware and software systems allow them to do in personalizing the programming and features whereas the guys who have learned to code the cars themselves have virtually limitless possibilities.
Appreciate 0