View Single Post
      04-17-2024, 09:33 PM   #1
Marius1585
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

Need help - E46 M3 possible parasite electrical drain

Hey All,

Have an 04 M3 with low miles (40k) that I’ve had for 7-ish years and recently I started noticing some unusual behavior.

Last winter (Nov) it failed to start a few times, but ran fine after bring jumped. Started and acted normal a few weeks and then got stashed away in garage for winter sleep.

Late February or early March, had to jump it again and eventually took it for unrelated service and shop called back saying my charging system isn’t working and that I need a new alternator.

Got a new alternator but still had an issue or two few weeks later. Replaced the battery and no issues starting since then.

EXCEPT - this week I noticed the interior dome light coming on while I’m driving - looks like a short/bad connection. Can’t tie it to bumps or anything that I notice happening consistently, but I’m certain it isn’t supposed to come on and off without button being pressed or door opened.

I think fuse 49 & 52 are relevant to check here, but curious if anyone can help point me to where I should check the wiring and how I could potentially locate the issue. Scared that the short may leave me stranded or may ruin a new battery.

Also not sure what all those fuses cover and if there’s a number of modules I should test/check and where to find them. Got a DMM and some knowledge, and would like to try to pinpoint it rather than paying a shop hourly to seek an electrical problem.

Thank you in advance.
2004 E46 ///M3 Carbon Black
2004 E46 ///M3 Titanium Silver SOLD
Appreciate 0