View Single Post
      08-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #66
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Still no power here, and no ETR from the power company. Just had to buy another 15 gallons of gasoline, so we are good until noon on Friday. It really sucks for rotating generator gasoline stores before they get stale when your primary cars are two battery electrics and a diesel pickup, hence not wanting to buy more than I need.

I'm starting to search for an old 50 HP VW Rabbit Diesel engine that still runs, to bolt up with a 4-pole generator head and build my own "portable" standby generator before the next storm hits us. It should be a bit more efficient than the gasoline generator, and we always have the heating oil tank on hand instead of lugging 5-gallon cans in an EV.....
You bring up an another interesting issue with power outages. What are you going to do when your primary car is an EV and your entire area is experiencing a power outage? So not only is the capacity of the power grid an important consideration with going all EV but also the resiliency of the power grid with natural disasters.
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15762.50
wdb4732.00
vreihen1615280.00