View Single Post
      01-24-2024, 09:12 AM   #15
cbpip
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4C 3.0si 3 pedal

Garage List
2007 BMW E86C  [0.00]
Unfortunately cashiers check funds can be pulled back by the person or lending institution providing the check. Always in cases of transferring monies either use wire transfer which can not be reversed or if you must receive a bank check always make the receiver of goods wait until the check clears both banks before allowing the property and title to be transfered, at least a week or more. Just having a lending institution accept a check does not make it good, hence the wait time for it to clear. You can also call the issuing institution to inquire and to question the validity of the check and if there are sufficient funds available ( they will most times at least answer with a yes or no, but not answer the amount of monies in an account). Never relinquish possession of the title until the wait time has passed for checks to clear both lending institutions, usually a week.

These types of check / money order frauds have long been an instrument of thieves. Similar to the old "I've sent you more money than requested, send me back the overage". Once deposited it looks good initially but a week latter after the bogus funding instrument has been discovered to be fraudulent they the bank reverses the deposited amount. The thieves count on you sending the property and the overage to them. You are out both the item and the overage they claimed to have sent.

Hope the vehicle gets recovered. These guys should be prosecuted and made to pay restitution as well as jail time for auto theft. Dirt bags will always be dirt bags. I would bet a good asset recovery company could track him down.

Last edited by cbpip; 01-24-2024 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 6