02-06-2024, 05:37 AM   #30
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
Ill share my side.

As a highly rated, long time forum member and frequent seller of wheels, I am quite familiar with them and how to describe when selling online. I do not have a history of misleading forum members because I simply, do not do it.

I had posted a cheap set of winter wheels and very clearly wrote in the description, “The wheels have been repaired and refinished.”

Michael contacted me about the wheels, beat me up on price, and wound up getting a smoking deal on a cheap set of functional OEM BMW wheels, Pirelli runflat winter tires, and genuine OEM BMW TPMS installed, all shipped right to his doorstep.

Upon delivery, before mounting, Michael emailed me and said the wheels vibrate, but yet he had not put them on.

I asked him to mount them and then see if they vibrate. He then mounted them, and immediately said they vibrate. I replied that I find it very difficult to believe as I watched them spin perfectly true and receive a fresh machine balance, moments before packing and shipping out. I do this process for every single set of wheels I sell by the way - all wheels get a fresh spin balance right before packing and shipping.

Michael requested a refund anyway, which I then APPROVED.

Again, I APPROVED a full refund and that I would take them back, no problem. Michael however refused to take any responsibly or ownership of his purchase decision, and refused to pay the return shipping costs.

A few months went by, the wheels never showed up, and Michael never contacted me again.

I took this as he was keeping the wheels, they did not vibrate, and they did not leak. They were perfectly functional like the post stated they were.

This was a the end.

All of a sudden, months after he has been driving on them without issue, I get an email stating there is a leak and he was asking for compensation.

I stated the wheels did not come with, nor were implied to come with a road hazard warranty, and during months of him driving on the wheels without issue in Chicago winter, all of a sudden it seems he had hit some sort of road debris / pothole / curb / etc. and damaged his wheel causing a leak.

I got a few more recent emails from him demanding compensation, a full refund, and the most recent one threatening a court case.

I did not reply as I had already previously agreed to a full refund on the original baseless claim (The wheels vibrated before he even mounted them), and since Micheal was so dead set on not paying for return shipping, I felt there was no progress to be made in more correspondence.

I tried to make things right, I accepted his return request, but this isn’t an Amazon type purchase with free return shipping, especially since the wheels were indeed originally described to have been repaired / refinished.

I suppose my question is:

Where does my responsibility end ?

I already approved a full refund for a baseless claim, but now months later I have to pay for damage Michael caused himself by hitting a pothole / road debris / etc in a Chicago winter ?

Am I responsible if he runs over a nail next week ? Am I responsible if a TPMS battery goes bad in 2 years ?

At what point does Michael own the wheels, and I no longer.
Your points sound fair to me, over here it's sold as seen and if it's not new then the purchaser takes the risk, always best to carry a spare with change tools in the car anyway and with your huge distances over there it's not always possible to view in person.

Last edited by M5Rick; 02-06-2024 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0