capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Doug is a car guy through and through. I believe one of his first jobs was working at Porsche headquarters and he's worked his entire career in the car industry with Jalopnik, Autotrader, etc. He wasn't some rich kid that decided he was going to kill time by doing youtube car videos. Whether you like him or not he's far more legit than most youtube car people.
+1. Doug is an automotive journalist that has the same access to press vehicles as the likes of Car&Track, RoadShow, etc. You can see his and all the other reviews come out around the same time when the OEMs release their press embargoes. What I do like about his YouTube channel are indeed his focus on "quirks and features", the little details you would only notice if you were to drive the car yourself long term.

I'd treat all these YouTubers as these categories:
  • Some form of journalism: they review new cars, go over industry trends, and provide commentary. Doug DeMuro, Redline, and The Straight Pipes fall into this bucket. IMO, I watch all of these channels plus KBB so I can stay up to date on what non-BMW OEMs are offering, in addition to their entertainment value.
  • Projects: they focus on the wrenching side of car-related journeys and projects, general tinkering, and really hands on stuff. RichRebuilds, SamCrac, Hoovies Garage, and Tavarish are like this. I watch these too because I can probably learn a thing or two as I start to wrench on my own F31.
  • Entertainment: they focus on the experience side side of car-related journeys and projects. Salomondrin, Shmee150, Vehicle Virgins fall into this category.