Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
how often do the ladies need shoes?
When I used to show competitively, Blackie would get her feet trimmed and re-shod every 6-8 weeks. Her hooves have always been kept long as she has really sensitive feet. If they are trimmed too short, she goes lame until they grow out. It's like clipping your finger nail too short and it hurts for a while, so I got lucky with her as to not need a trim every 4 weeks like a lot of show horses (and I've tried every supplement and hoof hardener under the sun, she just has sensitive feet, so the farrier recommends to keep them long). Now, since adulting and parenting has gotten in the way, the girls get their feet done about every 8- 10 weeks since they aren't ridden but a handful of times a year now.
I grew up next door to a horse farm, and the guy who owned it was a farrier. I used to help him during the summers back in high school. It was really cool to see the process, how hooves were trimmed, etc, and I learned a ton about horses. They are expensive to care for, but very intelligent animals with their own unique personalities.

My border collie is about to turn 16. I have to carry him down the stairs now as he can go up stairs but not down.
Attached Images

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 4
kscarrol8946.50
RickFLM410998.50
stein_325i25145.00