10-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #30
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
OP found out what handling means to everyone is very different, then slowly diverge to what everyone's ideal handling car is...

I had 2 MX-5s, one NB, one NC, and drove a NA and ND before, and they share one trait that makes them 'fun', and that's the ability to absolutely enjoy the upper limits of a vehicle (and very beyond it), without worrying about losing your license, or throwing yourself into the ditch, its not frightening to touch those limits, every day, because there is no fear of it getting away from me. 86/BRZ feels the same way, just slightly less so in exchange for more everyday practicality

Of course, it all depends on your vehicle's use. MX-5 is great stock for canyon carving, and autox. Does okay for track days and it never ceases to amaze me how many Porsches and other 'faster' cars I can reel in after 2-3 corners. Of course I have been trounced many times by proper drivers in Porsches too. I do feel I am having far more fun as I am reaching those upper limits of the car's ability far more of the time, and I never have to feel scared if I touch beyond those limits.

I go back to the original point, on metrics the MX-5 is slow, a Porsche easily trounce them everywhere, but you also gotta live with the car and all the financial obligations that go with it, if you can afford it then this should be moot, but I'd doubt anyone enjoy fixing their car and face the bills when they can just be driving. Mazda parts are plentiful and inexpensive, Porsche parts are not plentiful and expensive.

Oddly I am one of the few people who did not like the Boxster/Cayman, twice I had a chance to get a Boxster S, and both times I did not get it, i feel it is way too clinical. Amazing abilities on paper, i can argue whether it will be faster than my current pick, but it is not 'fun'. For a weekend toy, which is my purpose for the Z4M, it just does not hit me the same way

Just my 2 cents worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
Alpine A110
Sadly, they don't sell em outside of EU

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0