View Single Post
      09-30-2021, 11:39 PM   #27
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
For a stock car the Camaro SS 1LE has awesome handling. And much, much more power than the Miata.

Miata needs some mods to really shine. It's too floppy stock.
Oh it does, it's solid and just a monster of a car, in all the good ways. It's not the best at AutoX, but it doesn't suck at it either. I won novice category this season and at our events with a slightly bigger AutoX course, I start jumping placement way up to the much more serious and experienced drivers, like 4th overall last weekend. It's hard to not sing the praises of the car. Ford has finally created something with equal handling and power to weight, the Mach 1, but it's taken years and years, compared to when the SS 1LE came out.

But it all goes back to livability and what you want. I wanted a bit more space, ability to haul some stuff, the 2SS version makes it good for GT. You can step up to the C8, which is another level of insanity, even better handling, better power/acceleration, overall much faster around a track, etc. Just depends on what level you are looking for. I think you have to look for the "best handling" or "good handling" cars within at least some base criteria, otherwise you go to the Ariel Atom and Lotus cars with only that criteria. On the other hand, there are some giant brute cars that handle very well for their category, they won't win an autocross, but they'll be hanging right there around any bigger track, like the new CTS-V...so again, we gotta be fairly specific.

Hard to go wrong with a Cayman again, there's a reason it almost always makes any top-10 sportscar list.