View Single Post
      10-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
^^^ that right there is total awesomeness ! fantastic explanation...

SO... for the dumb at heart, why after my 100km drive did the car say "battery discharge while stopped" and only went after a night on the ctek

oh wait, maybe I have answered my question, the alternator on newer BMW's only charge the battery on overrun, not on good old cruising ?
Partly depends on the electrical demands, while you drive that distance. The over-run phases are key to maximising the charge.

I've experimented with an older battery, 30 miles does not improve the voltage, (or SoC) of a partially discharged battery. The 'start' and energy used in the trip, blunts the charging, particularly if there isn't much over-run. My typical trip is near constant speed driving, so not a good way to try and charge the battery.

Same apples to a new battery, the 30 miles is not enough in itself to keep the battery in top condition, (if there are several days between use), when the locked/alarmed consumption slowly depletes the battery anyway. I'd get away with it, if I used the car most days, but definitely not if only once or twice a week.
Appreciate 0