vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
This cracks me up! Reminds me of my dear Auntie (G-d bless her soul) who put about 52 miles on her car in a year...going 1 mile to the hairdresser and back home every week.
I did a 10-year oil change on my Audi in 2017 (only 3,400 miles in 10 years on the autox trailer queen), and sent a sample of the ancient Mobil-1 0W/40 Euro Car Formula out to Blackstone Labs for testing. Here is their narrative:

Quote:
"This engine still looks great. Wear metals compared nicely with universal averages, which show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 5,800 miles on the oil. Considering the hard life this engine has led, we're pretty impressed with these readings. The additives are standard for Mobil 1 0W/40 and air and oil filtration are working well. The viscosity is a tad thin, perhaps due in part to the fuel, but neither the fuel nor the thin viscosity is harmful. The TBN is 5.9, showing active additive left. Run the next oil 5,000 miles and check back."
Realize that if I run the new 2017 replacement Mobil-1 0W/40 their suggested 5,000 miles, the car will qualify for historic license plates before its next oil change!

Am I the only person who has trouble every year with annual state vehicle inspections getting rejected for odometer tampering because some of my cars don't clock 25 miles in a year? The inspection station has to call the DMV mothership and ask them to override the flag, telling them each time that the car came in on a trailer and did not appear to be driven much.....