02-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #85
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I forgot that Smart Cars were even still sold in the US, or that they made an EV There are a lot of cheap used EV's out there, I mean there's Nissan Leafs selling for the prices of 20-year old Camry's! New I think the best deal I've seen is for a while Hyundai would advertise their Ioniq EV lease for as low as $109/month, with very little down, these dealers must hate having these cars on the lot.
smart only sold the electric versions in new york and california. my first lease was insane- $1k down, and $86 a month. here is the best part- california had an incentive of $2,500 for leasing an electric car. yes.
you don't get the federal tax credit for leases, but california gave out money for leases or buying. it was basically a free car to use for three years.

california would create a "fund" for these $2,500 incentives, and when the money got consumed, you had to wait for it to get funded again for the next year. i looked at getting another lease, but it was the next generation of smart cars, and they were more expensive and wouldn't swing the same deal. so i found a super cheap one for sale and bought it. every couple of years, my electric company offers a $400 incentive if i charge my car at home. i just have to upload a couple of documents and they send a check for $400 for doing what i'm going to do anyways. i've done this twice now.