Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I've had mild success on regular low carb, however there always comes a point where the weight loss stops and I get frustrated and go back to my old ways.

My understanding is the main difference between low car and keto is the amount of fat eaten in keto. I have tried doing keto, but I just don't understand how to eat so much fat especially if it's not from fatty protein. Low carb is easy to do (in the sense of figuring out what to eat, not in the sense that I don't crave carbs) but keto I just can't figure out what to eat. Most fat I can think of is usually part of something else. Like I'm not having a stick of butter for lunch.

I will say I definitely feel better on low carb, but I always end up breaking it, even after being on it for enough time that I don't crave the carbs anymore.
Keto is not a "diet" per se, it's a physiological metabolic state. You can accomplish it with many different eating patterns, it is getting into the hormonal state of Ketosis that's important. The specifics of what you eat aren't as important as it being very low carb (you can't get into ketosis when insulin levels are elevated, and they are elevated mostly by carbs) and intermittant fasting with some occasional longer fasts will put you in that state. The most helpful thing is to get a BKG (blood ketone/glucose) meter and test yourself until you get there.
Appreciate 2