View Single Post
      01-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I'm not disputing how fast a Pagani is. Nor am I disputing how well constructed one is, or the engineering involved. I'm disputing the garishness and 'completeness' of the car, and the fundamental aims and attitudes of its designer and maker.

I'll back off the 'kit car' statement, if only to allow that other great cars are made with others' engines. Lotus is a great example. As for Red Bread 's post regarding the McLaren F1: if I recall correctly, McLaren tested Honda, Chevy, and even an Isuzu engine in prototypes before settling on a BMW powerplant for the first run -- and it destroyed the prototypes primarily to avoid the F1 being pigeonholed as a kit car.

48Laws : Correct: Paganis are bespoke. That's one reason the term 'kit car' fits -- and plenty of 'kit cars' are also manufactured as turnkeys. The AC Cobra is a great example. As for the price tag: also correct, but there's a big, big difference between couture to advance the craft and couture to please your clients. It could certainly be argued that the Zonda did the former. All Paganis since have not.
What are you, a hypercar hipster? You'd sell it immediately if it were gifted to you? JFC.
Appreciate 0