infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Placing a TV right above the mantle in your photo wouldn't be that much different than where it's sitting now, so that's actually not a terrible height either way.

I think the bigger conversation that should be had is why must the fireplace be the focal point of a room? The living room has changed in the last 50+ years to where I'd almost say the fireplace and TV make more sense switching places in the example of your photo.

The argument used to be about symmetry, but if you're putting a TV off to the side, there isn't any anyways, so why not move the fireplace to the side instead where it serves the exact same purpose and then the TV location isn't compromised at the same time? If I try to explain this to my wife, she looks at me like I'm insane.

Note that I'm not actually speaking to you directly. It would be ridiculous and impractical to try to physically move the fireplace off to the side. The whole argument is just really strange that even to this day, form over function stills wins in new house design even though it makes zero sense now.
Yeah the builders really need to be more forward looking. The setup works well because we have a large couch that's on the very right so the tv is more or less centered for the couch. That extra 2 feet of height is a deal to me.
Appreciate 0