Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I removed the rear sway (8 lbs of loss) and traded some rear droop for bump this weekend (the goal being to put the front into bump stops before the rear, putting the car into understeer if I run out of travel). The next day I took it out for some hard back roads driving. The car felt great, and I didn't remember till I got home that I had removed sway-- so it was certainly not ruined or made weird by the rear sway removal.

The limits are too high to judge the oversteer/understeer situation on the street, so I don't really have anything to report on that respect till the next event. Currently sitting at a 75.7 FRC.

The best way to describe the car now on back road bombing would be unflappable. The car was absurdly composed, no matter what I did with (to) it. Bumps were immediately absorbed, car never lost its set. I was actively driving in a style that would upset the car, and it just wasn't having it. I'm pretty sold on this flat ride concept! It also rides really well-- better than my 530i (came with not very good aftermarket springs) . IF the car ends up being too understeery with the new setup, I'll likely stiffen up the rear springs next.

Current setup:
1.84hz front, 2.09hz rear, 1.14 bounce ratio, 75.7% FRC.

Potential next setup, if the car is now too understeer biased:
1.84hz front, 2.20hz rear, 1.19 bounce ratio, 73.8% FRC

The steering is also not nearly as twitchy, with street camber/toe. I am surprised to say that the steering doesn't feel any heavier? This surprises me because I...
-reduced the power steering assist by 25%
-added caster via CSL kingpins, which should make it heavier
-add caster via camber/caster plates, which should make it heavier
-went to a faster ratio rack

This isn't really a complaint, as I didn't want it heavier-- I did the 25% less assist to reduce the pressure in the lines (make them stop sweating). Just surprising.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00