10-11-2018, 12:22 AM   #15
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_2_f80 View Post
I promised my dealer not to post pics or reveal much about them, so i am going to share my experience with the g05 x5 50i Around the dc area.

I spent 2 hours at the dealer. First hour was the dealer training provided by bmw NA. Lots of information about the changes, and why those changes were made. From the door unlock mechanism function and how the hand naturally flows, to the whys of the new 7.0 OS, to why oh why you can not get 3rd row on the 50 with mpack. There are a ton of changes from the f15, that the car is completely new. Second hour was QA discussion then a 10 min ride in the x5.

My take on the 50 with mpack as a passenger:
The car was a cabon black with coffee interior. Had the handling pack and the driver assistant plus. The ride in comfort is firmer than the comfort setting in an f15, still very compliant. There is minimal sway in the body at 30mph speeds. The rear steer is so nice that the x5 makes really nice turns in minuscule spaces.

The startup of the 50 is super loud and deep, almost f10 m5 growl level. It could be that we turned it ON inside a showroom but still when we took it out it had already went through the cold start cycle and it was still loud and this is coming from a guy who loke loud exhausts...The trainer drove for 2 miles around the dealer's area. Pickup is quick and the zf changes almost like a dct. On tight turns i was sliding in the seat and grabbing the door handle to stabilize. Brakes are huge and even with the 20" braking power was impressive for 5000 pounds sav.

Front of the x5 is very aggressive seeing it coming towards you in a parking lot, yes the kidneys are huge but the lights and the overhang of the hood/engine gives it a sporty look.

Rear legroom is similar to f15 from my perspective. A 6ft sales guy was behind the driver sitting comfortably with room to spare. Driver was 5ft 10. The rear of the seats come stock with type c chargers along with slot for adapter/accessories. The electronics, leather plushness, and quality of the interior is a big step above the f15. You can not see gaps in the trim, alignment is top notch and the lighting around the trim is very warm.

BTW- the crystal gear knob is really nice. I thought its cheesy but once you see it along with the lighting its kind of a centerpiece/conversation starter to anyone hoping in the car. It does have multiple angles, and also might become slippery with sweaty hands...still its a nice piece i decided to add it to the build.

Couple of other things confirmed by bmw rep:
- yes there is a shortage of camera supplies and laser lights and build are being delayed, monitor the builds online and check with genius/dealer

- key card entry: this will be provided with dec build. Nov build will be able to request a card, prior to Nov builds the door sensor is different and card will not work without a retrofit

- driving assistant plus/pro: increase time in hands free and also provision of assistance on more roads/tolls with the pro version

- no delivery will be made before nov1 bmw na orders

I hope my perspective helps.
Really good info and insight!!! Thanks!
Appreciate 1