Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Rod bearings replaced, and not at all sad I did!

Crank, happily, is still perfect, so no stroker for me yet.

A couple of months ago I was browsing m3cutters and came upon this thread, which piqued my interest:
http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48861

Most of it doesn't apply to our cars (that thread is about the BM54, which has TMC support and frequent failure, neither of which applies to us), but this part does:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1
However, the change in the system is very good indeed, it’s quite hard to explain, there is just more quality to the sound, more bass, more mids, crystal clear highs and a shed load of depth, a richer fuller sound all round, and no more need for max bass settings (in the tone menu).
So, off to England went my BM53! Baris upgraded the amplifiers in it, as well as adding heat sinks to it so it doesn't overheat. Several days later (he turned it over in 24 hours, but shipping to/from england times some time) it was back in the car.

Sound quality is now, dare I say it, decent! The stock system always kinds of sounds like your listening to it through something. This significantly improved the quality, and made it seem much more like the source audio. I'm still running the stock HK speakers, now with 130,000 miles of use, so I suspect it would be even better with good (or even just new) speakers. This isn't an upgrade that'll give you thumping base, but if you want the music to sound clearly/better, it's a significant improvement (and still works like stock in every way ).

All of the rod bearings in order. Cylinder 2 and 5 took the worst of it, as normal:

Stupid nor'easter... Switched to snows even though it'll be back into the 60s this weekend.

I just ordered the CSL cabin air filter holder.

I'll weight both and compare, but it'll be a couple weeks-- backordered because CSL, germany to england, england to me, maybe get stuck in customs along the way :roll:

I'm excited-- always been annoyed by how heavy the stocker is, and it's weight off the front of the car

Replaced the rear window seals tonight using this guide:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1065838915

I went off guide a bit because I'm a huge 3M fanboy, so I used their seals instead.

Before:

During:

After:

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0