View Single Post
      03-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Helix
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3CS

I'd agree that auto mode is very driveable, tho doesn't 'creep' and needs a little learning. It is certainly OK in auto mode and fantastic in manual - as a race driver you have obviously appreciated some of its joys already ('instant' full throttle changes with both hands on wheel, double declutching, change lights and launch control - no, maybe not on a test drive!).

SMG (in UK) seems very reliable in general. Why not - after all, it's a manual box with electronic activation so avoids some of the manual's driver-imposed stresses on both box and engine (it changes down before laboured, tells you when to change up, and according to BMW prevents downshift if it would mean over-revving).

Plenty of UK cars seem to have achieved up to 100k mileage - I intend to with mine (but not yet!) though BMW have whacked up the extended warranty cost.

It is important that first service (change oils and tighten head etc) is done within 1800 miles - in UK lack of/late stamp affects warranty and resale. (See another thread.)

Sport button (at least on UK model) affects only sharpness of throttle response, not power or torque - it just feels that way. If you switch to Sport at say 70 on part throttle car 'leaps' forward because throttle opens wider, as the Sport throttle response is a convex curve (strange but true: UK site BM3W has the response curves to prove it).

Why did someone think your post was in the wrong place? There are other similar. Is there a different subsection for such queries?

Last edited by Helix; 03-21-2007 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Clarification/expansion of first line. and end of para 2
Appreciate 0