10-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #114
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
its definitely possible

we already have throttle and brake by wire. its only a matter of time before clutch-by-wire. computer controlled clutch engagement with some fake feedback through the pedal. it would feel like a real manual, but prevent mis shifts... and be able to go into full auto / dct mode.

doubt any company would dump money into this idea though.
I'm surprised one of these one-off, niche manufacturers who build unique super cars in really small numbers haven't tinkered with this idea a bit. It would be so cool, and almost everyone who could afford such a unique car would buy it, just 'cause it would be the first of its kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Not a bad idea there Kevin, Auto for town and city and manual for fun on country roads
Exactly. So many of us would buy it, because a lot of us like manuals, but still want the convenience of an automatic like 80% of the time while we drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
I’m surprised this hasn’t been done. Considering how much tuning they can do with boxes like the ZF8, I’m sure they could simulate some manual characteristics with a digital clutch pedal and H pattern.
So my question is, can they actually create a true manual transmission, and then have some "gear" on the stalk that is simply A for "auto", and then the car in that "gear" would just shift by itself, like in a DCT? The auto mode or "gear" may be a little clunky (like early SMGs were), but I bet many of us would take that as long as we had the option of an "automatic" mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
It has been done with a torque converter. Alfa did it back in the day.

https://drivetribe.com/p/bring-it-ba...Ss-Pio88O57fEA

I have long advocated for such a system with dct equipped cars. Porsche let’s you “clutch in” by pulling both paddles in a pdk. Map that function to a pedal. Same with the shifter, you’re not replacing a physical connection, just an electronic signal. If you look at some of the high end shifters in the sim racing market, they’ve managed to simulate some pretty good feel.

The upside for manufacturers is that they get to design the car to only have one transmission while still pleasing manual enthusiasts, cutting down on r and d costs while still tapping the market.
Thanks for the article, I never knew much of that. I think they could do it. Well, we know it CAN be done, so it's simply at what cost?

But I think in all of our dreams, we actually get a true manual with a clutch, and then there's a gear you could put the shifter into that turns the tranny into an automatic, shifting by itself, and basically locking out the clutch. Thus, in this Auto mode or gear, the car would be like a DCT or PDK and shift by itself. And there would be no paddle shifts or anything, so the driver couldn't control the gear beyond using the gas pedal.

But then you could switch it back at any time (or maybe you have to be stopped?) to manual mode, re-engaging the clutch.

Hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
No way it will ever feel like a real manual gearbox.
If they started with a manual gearbox as the basis of the tranny, it would.
Appreciate 0