View Single Post
      11-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
Daddu
Daddu
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I purchased Goof Off and tried the label removal on my new E90. Let me say that it's not quite as easy as those above may say. There is no comment in the thread above that the vinyl becomes soft and grows quite a bit. I was very careful to use the Goof Off sparingly, but if you use enough to soften the label, the Goof Off (Xylene mostly) soaks into the vinyl.

On the first decal I removed, the Goof Off soaked into the label, and the black ink of the label bled. Although the label did come off in many, many small fragments, I never did quite get the black ink completely out of the all the grooves of the textured vinyl. One the second visor, I was more careful on the quantity of Goof Off, and the ink did not bleed.

I suppose the ambient temperature during the process must have some effect. It's November in Ohio, and my garage is probably in the 40's or 50's. Maybe using Goof Off in warmer environments makes the process easier.

A few hours after removal, the vinyl had grown, and the rectangle where the label had been was sagging and wringled. It looked as if the visor was trashed. Some say that after a couple of hours, or even 24 hours, the vinyl will shrink to normal. But for me, it took about 5 days for the vinyl to eventually shrink back tight. The vinyl did shrink tight, but there is a light ridge on the border of the original label. You can still see the outline of where the label was installed; seems to be a very light ridge around the perimeter of the label.

Overall, the project was successful, but not a completely clean removal. I can still see where the labels were located. Looks good enough that someone not aware of the label removal would never notice, however.
Appreciate 0