View Single Post
      01-19-2024, 01:40 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Parent of two D3 athletes, both now graduated. Son was captain his senior year.

D1 is a full time job. It will be stressful and challenging to maintain top grades and a D1 athletic commitment. And consider whether the scenario would be acceptable, where the athlete doesn't get much or any playing time. Financial benefit would be there, at a significant cost in time, effort and stress.

D3 was great from a parent's point of view. Fun and mellow vibe with the other parents. Great athletic performance and competition from the athletes. Travel wasn't too far so we saw lots of games, both home and away.

Some financial "packaging" came with athletic participation. Enough to be appreciated, not so much to make a meaningful difference.
Yep, D1 is full time. DII-NAIA is far more relaxed. Honestly, that would be my preference for her, but she is super competitive, works damn hard, never complains, is a super positive player, and a team leader. She has all the attributes of a D1 player and is a great student. I make it a point to her that school comes first, rest and breaks are just as important as training and practice, as is taking time to be a kid outside of sports. I do worry a bit that D1 will have a bit of a different take on my thoughts.

Her 529 is already mostly funded to pay for 4 years of state school and it still has 3.5 years to grow still so it's really not necessary that she even plays in college. However, she loves the idea of getting that money if she gets scholarships. The reality is once college is over, so is your competitive volleyball career. At that point, you just play recreationally or coach. Pro volleyball leagues are now just starting in the US, but I can't imagine the pay is much more than minor league baseball pay.