01-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Looking to get into an E46

Hey yall,

I am coming in from the F8X forums, i currently own a 2016 F82 in DCT. I am a fairly young at 26 years old and pretty much starting up my life, i have had the benefit of being in a good financial situation with a well paying job but things change and responsibilities increase and although i can keep the F82 i would be stretching a little with all my other goals in mind.

I am a simple guy and found that i use almost 0 tech features in my car, i also drive the car year round, even in Canadian winters with Sport+ everything and S3 shift setting and do not mess around with any features. Quite simply put i love the car but i do find it a tad too luxe, heavy, and generally overkill for the type of guy i am.

I also find the F82 not very toss able on the street, and not nearly as sporty as i would like, let's just say i don't give a shit about comfort so after owning it for over 2 years i feel the value i get for the money i am paying is a little subpar, the car is fantastic, i love it but i do feel it is far above my personality.

This brought me to the question of making a shift from this torque monster to a more nimble, smaller, obviously older but just as beautiful M3, the E46.

My main points of concern are:

1. Reliability
2. Aftermarket parts + community
3. Cost to maintain/own

Also here in canada these generally command anywhere from 18k-27k canadian dollars with about 120k-200k kilometres on the dash.

I just don't want to end up in a money pit of broken parts and maintenance nightmares, i love the look of this car, and everything it represents.

I would be going super heavy into the mods, comfort is my least worry, i would like to make it as track focused as possible. Once again the M4 is quite a bit too comfy for me, i feel a little too snobby in it for some reason, it's just out there ahahah.

If any of you could give me your experiences, i would greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0