pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
AWD is the single biggest piece f marketing fluff ever invented in the automotive world. It helps but it is not a miracle worker. It doesn't help you brake either which is the biggest safety issue in winter.

Nothing, but nothing works better in snow and ice than proper tyres.

I am not crazy about Pirelli TBH, I find for serous snow the Blizzacks are best and mixed conditions the Michlen XIce do a great job. I run XIce as our streets are ploughed and they are far less noisy and wear better than the Blizacks.
I agree that it's marketing fluff, primarily because most of the systems are ineffective in my experience - particularly the ones in in mainstream vehicles based on FWD platforms. My mom's 2019 Honda CRV-V sends zero power to the rear even when you turn traction control off and spin the fronts; my Acura RDX was the same way, being based off the same Haldex shit system. Previous GF's Volvo S60 was useless as well, and so is a friend's Q7; trying to get that Q7 to rotate into oversteer is completely futile.

My X5 is a whole 'nother matter, though. Easy to steer with the throttle on snow, but the front wheels are spinning too regardless of conditions and with no delay whatsoever. Vastly superior system.