06-16-2023, 11:29 PM   #98
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
That practically could've been me: two sub runs and three surface runs, all TADs. 25 years in the Navy and my sea duty counter was 6-7 months total. (I had a couple of tours at small commands located on Air Force bases, too!)
Going in, I had no idea that OS was a 7/2 (sea/shore) rotation. I probably would've picked another rate! I did two cruises (1st 9 months (9/77-4/78) and the 2nd 8 (2/79-9/79)) in three years. The first year we were married I was home 52 days, minus duty days. The first anniversary I was home was our 3rd! When I was up for reenlistment I gave the detailer my demands; 4 years at Pt. Loma teaching, Top Gun school (I was an air Intercept Controller) & AIC Supervisor school. I got everything, except they said they could only guarantee 3 years at Pt. Loma with a year extension, which wouldn't be guaranteed. He tried to tell me the extension was a gimme as the Navy doesn't send people to sea for only a year. I wasn't born the night before, so I said thanks, but no thanks. I got a great career, so can't complain.
Appreciate 1
Llarry16387.00