01-04-2022, 11:53 PM   #80
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
My wife and I own a condo in Asheville. Great place to visit but I couldn't live there permanently. OP wants red and Asheville is as blue as blue gets.
I’ve only been to Asheville maybe 2-3 times in the 7 months we have had the house in NC and usually only the outskirts. Shit we hardly even go to Boone anymore and that’s only like 30min away. I guess I’m just not a city guys, don’t like cities, don’t like people! I’m fine having 4 restaurants to choose from in our little downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
How expensive is it, it is really untenable esp for ppl who just got laid off? Pretty scary situation one needs to think about.
If you get it through an employer it’s not much, depends on the plan, but I never gave it second thought when I was employed. If you are unemployed you can get COBRA as mentioned, typically something you do just in between jobs. If you are self employed or just don’t want to work you can buy your own insurance and depending on your income you can qualify for a “discount” on that insurance and that’s what a lot of people call Obama care. When I was laid off like 5-6 years ago and decided to start my business I bought my own insurance and because I wasn’t making much money at the start I got a decent discount. Maybe I paid like $200-300ish per month for a decent plan. Now that I no longer qualify for any discounts I pay like $600 for a decent low deductible plan. I could probably get away with a cheaper plan, but I can afford it and I don’t want to think about it.

We also have Medicare for people 65+ I believe. While I have no personal experience with it, both my grandmothers were on it and they seemed to be at the doctors every other day. All their stuff seemed to be covered and I never heard of them having issues with that. We also have Medicaid which is for low income people… not sure how that works vs Obama care but I know we have both those things.

So the people that say you are going to die in the streets because you can’t afford health insurance in the US are full of shit. Plus if you are in such a bad place that you cannot afford ANYTHING and somehow don’t qualify for ANY of the programs you can still go to a hospital for emergency stuff and be treated even without insurance. You might get a big ol bill later, but if you are that bad off what are they going to do? There is no debtors prison. I personally know people who go bankrupt every decade or so for fun… people with homes and nice cars and jobs….
Appreciate 0