View Single Post
      06-17-2022, 11:52 PM   #4
Koolsilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I see what you're saying. I believe you could "service" it using OEM parts but I'm sure you would be way over the cost of the upgraded parts. Now one thing to be aware of is while these parts are an upgrade it isn't meant for only people that drive their cars hard. The original parts fail under normal conditions and the upgrade doesn't present any performance increase but they reduce the chance of future failure. While it is completely up to you whether or not to upgrade the vanos during your ownership I would be willing to bet that any engine with over 100k miles at least the plastic chain guide is already broken. A broken plastic chain guide usually isn't catastrophic but it can potentially lead to worse things happening like the chain skipping. I don't want to fear monger because realistically vanos problems have a low chance of catastrophic failure for the engine but it is my belief that vanos problems are more age and mileage dependent and less about whether someone is being rough or easy on the car.
Appreciate 0