View Single Post
      08-18-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
TrojanBMW714
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, X5

Car cannot start error

I though I would share my experience with an engine error and my local dealership in SoCal. Upon starting my 2019 M550i, I saw an error (don’t recall exact wording) engine cannot start; call roadside assistance. The funny thing was the car did start with no problem. This happen periodically 3x so I decided to take it to my dealership. This car is still under CPO.

The dealership quoted a diagnostics charge $235 which would be removed if I did the service or covered by BMW. After several days, (many conversions between machanic and BMW) they told me my auxiliary battery is at 50%. Before further diagnosis, I need to replace the battery… $800. I was hesitant because this may or may not fix my issue. I negotiated a battery replacement for $565. A day later, they said everything looks good and I picked up the car. The following day, I got the same error and now I’m very upset thinking I didn’t have to replace the battery.

Long story short, it was the starter and it was covered by CPO. The dealership is telling me the error can be the combination of the two and I would have had to replace the battery eventually. I’m calling BS but what can I do. I made a call to BMW customer service but nothing is going to happen.

Just sharing in case someone can learn from my experience.

Fight On!
Appreciate 1
jimk105.50