10-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #273
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Tale of getting old..

I used to be consistently a night runner through my entire 20s. It was something I looked forward to after work as a means of unwinding. But now, in my early 30s, running at night (630/7pm start) prevents me from falling asleep by 11/midnight and I start a vicious cycle of shit sleep which sometimes takes me a full week to reset.

I've switched over to morning runs but god damn does it take a lot motivation. I am expected in the office by 830/845 when I'm not wfh so if I don't get out of bed by 615 I have to cut my runs short. Not to mention w/ winter approaching it's becoming even harder.

But my bigger issue is how poorly I run in the morning. I'm stiff as a board and have no energy lol. I've resorted to sipping a bit of coffee as I stretch/wake up but running 3 miles feels like an impossible task vs. doing it in the evening when I've been properly fueled and hydrated throughout. And I've noticed my times are consistently slower in the AM than the same runs later in the day.

Would love to hear morning runners chime in with tips.
How far do you run? I used to be same way. Not a runner, and def not a morning person. But I started running 1 mile at a time at the very beginning before work and it felt amazing. I always thought people working out before work was BS but it's truly great. So I started waking up at 5AM, run and get to work at 730. But that usually meant going to bed at 830PM. I can't do that anymore nowadays as my
easy/short runs are up to 5 miles.

In other news, I've signed up for my first marathon: Jan 21st 2023. I'm 6 weeks into the Boston marathon training plan and all is well. it was very helpful to have a solid base going into this. No time goal, but I'd be OK with a 4:30
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0