12-17-2020, 02:52 PM   #97
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The E90's notoriety was it was only M3 with V8, but the car was heavy & the engine was kind of anemic and needed to be revved up which isn't always practical in everyday driving. The F8x was lighter, more powerful and immediate. The E90 clearly sounds better but the F8x clearly looks better.

Overall, I agree with the conclusion from bmwblog.com: "As the proud owner of the E90 pictured above and one who is frequently guilty of ///M nostalgia, this author really has nothing to gain from capitulation, but resistance is futile. The M4 is so clearly superior to the E9X generation M3 in every performance area. And not only that, the M4 is just as playful and fun as the E9X or any past generation."

And I would put the M2C as even better the F8x in terms of driving experience.
I did 15k miles and 20 track days in my E90 M3. Never found the engine to be anemic, plenty of power for cruising around and very satisfying to hustle. By contrast the M2C engine was flat above 5.5k RPM because they neutred the tune. This made it somewhat unsatisfying to rev out, and didn't help the exhaust tone was an off kilter blare thanks to the dueling 3 cylinder tone. The M3 CS which I have driven has very impressive power delivery and pulls hard to redline, same acoustic limitations though.

On weight, a stripper E92 M3 weighs basically the same as an F8x M3/M4. I understand why people like the f8x though, and from a performance standpoint its certainly a big step change. It's just not clear cut to me that its better..
Appreciate 0