2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I am in an interesting place with all of this having two children (twins) in the 6th grade and a wife that is a 7/8th grade teacher. One element not yet mentioned in here are the countless tears my wife has shed trying to create an entire environment conducive to the level of education she was able to provide in her classrooms. She leads a team of 5 and all have mentioned tendering their resignations. To be clear, they would all like to be back in the classroom, but are being forced to do the hybrid which is causing them sometimes three to four times the work load.

It is difficult for me to tell her to continue to push on and work three times harder for a fraction of the pay I receive. I have told her she should stay the course for the kids, but I wish for her sanity to matter more and that she can resign if she chooses. We both know that now is not the time to quit.

Bottom line, the teachers are struggling and with the terrible pay, worse support and non existent plans, the burden falls even harder in their laps.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I truly wish your family the best.

That being said... I am long past being sick of hearing teachers complain that their job is so burdensome, and that they're not getting just compensation. Did they not research what the position entails? They already get months off every year, and get off every day that even hints at a holiday. Teachers also usually have a gold plated benefits and retirement package. Plus teachers qualify for additional fringe benefits (like affordable housing, or special loan rates) we suckers in the private sector can only dream of.

I won't even get into the bullshit the teacher unions pull like "we'll come back to work when you defund the police."

In my experience teachers took their job because they wanted a schedule that was conducive to being home a lot. That's probably why they appear so surprised that there's more actual work involved than they expected.

Teachers: Your country needs you to show up for work. You're essential; act like it.