Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Speedometer Error Fix

What's up guys?
I always come across the post below (posted by Terraphantm) regarding the speedometer error, but I don't have this string anywhere in my file...
03 00 2D C8 00 31 D6

Does anyone know of another string to look for?
I would love to fix this ridiculous error.
Thanks.

Note: I know there's a specific DIY section on this forum, but that side doesn't get much traffic, and most programming information seems to be in this section.

Requirements
BMW Scanner
Cluster made in 09/2001 or newer (edit: not 100% sure about this date cutoff after looking at some NCS Expert files. Might even be as late as 03.5)
I'm sure it is possible to do this on early clusters too, but the software is quite different. I can research if a few of you send me a dump of your cluster EEPROM
Some common sense

As most of you know, E46 clusters tend to be optimistic. What you may not have known is that the DME and Cluster know the exact speed; the error is deliberate on BMW's part. There have been a few ways to correct this in the past; one way is to just trick the cluster into thinking you have smaller tires, but this can screw up things like MPG and average MPH calculations. Another way was to rescale the cluster curve itself, but this required a decent bit of trial and error and it was just fooling the cluster into thinking the scale was larger.

After studying M and non-M EEPROM files, here's what I found -- there is a function deliberately designed to increase the speed by a certain ratio. In the non-M, the displayed speed is the real speed + 5.7%. In the M3, the error is a massive 8.9% -- completely unacceptable IMO.

So here's what you do.

Start up the PASoft software and load your IKE. Read off the EEPROM.
Now, in the built in hex editor, look for the following hex string (pick the appropriate one for your model). In my cluster, it was located at offset 0x339

Code:
E46 M3: 03 00 2D C8 00 31 D6
Non-M: 03 00 23 C8 00 25 CC
Change it to the following

Code:
All models: 03 00 01 C8 00 01 CA
Save the file, and flash the EEPROM back to your cluster.
Done. If you have stock diameter tires, your speedometer should be almost 100% accurate

If you're curious as to how the change works, the bytes I change are used as a ratio. 0x25 = 37; 0x23 = 35. 37/35 = 1.057, or a 5.7% error. I am not sure what the 0xC8 (200) value represents; I think it might be an upper limit to the allowed error (5.7% until the error reaches 20 km/h). That last byte is simply a checksum (XOR all the values together, and then XOR with 1)

If you have a 99-01 cluster, please send me your EEPROM. I can't promise I'll figure out how to do the change there, but I'll try. Also, if there are any Japanese fanatics here, please send me a dump of your cluster. In the E39, the Japanese values for the cluster are 100% accurate; I suspect the same holds true for the E46. It would be interesting to see how BMW configured the cluster.

Also give me feedback; so far in my testing it agrees with GPS, but it's always nice to have others confirm too

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0