First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
the battery is 16KWh, and costs $30K to replace, so that's abut $1875

Perhaps it's not your point, but it is mine.

I don't want to embrace a disposable solution to achieve a more green status. It's antithetical to me.

I prefer to look at contemporary truths to predict my future. We as a society suck at future proofing our products. We adopt a disposable mindset, even you embrace this. I see no reason to believe I'll be able to buy a replacement battery for a 2023 Tesla Plaid for $5k in 8 years. perhaps I'm being cynical, but I also base my belief in historical facts, and observation of present truths.

This theory was presented 10 years ago, still not preset and viable today. future theory < present truth.

That sounds nice, we should push for that too. future theory < present truth.

I want the same future you do, I really mean that very sincerely. I'm just trying to be realistic. We have limitations to work around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
What's the cost per kwh in 2022 dollars?

I realize that the cost of older batteries can make older models obsolete or too costly to repair. Like I've said in other posts, I don't think owning an EV long term is attractive right now due to this.

However, that really wasn't my original point:

In bold, what I was suggesting is that current and future EVs will be designed in such a way that battery swaps will become easier, reducing labor costs to do swaps. They already do this on the fly for motorcycles and tuck tucks in other parts of the world. It also reduces down time for charging, so instead of waiting for your car to charge, you just roll into a station, and they swap your battery for you. So essentially, replacing a 8 year old battery will be as simple as changing your oil.

Essentially, what I think could happen is this: EV batteries get standardized much like the batteries we put in our remote controls. For instance, a EV battery standard could make it possible for a 2023 EV to accept a new battery in 2033, much like a TV remote from 1980 still accepts a AAA battery from 2022 and still take advantage of the technological achievements in said battery (rechargeability etc). Supply for legacy batteries wouldn't be such an issue.
I really doubt we are ever going to see swappable batteries on a mass scale for long-range EVs. There is no financial motivation (the only kind that matters) for OEMs to design their cars that way. Unless the government requires it, and then nationalizes battery production (which, with the current administration is honestly not off the table).
I actually read not to long ago that several companies are looking to integrate the battery back into the chassis of the vehicle, so you have a fully-integrated, load-bearing structure with fewer components. If that becomes the new norm, then if you need a new battery, you literally have no choice but to buy a new car haha.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00