08-25-2022, 03:49 AM   #32
FastFrog
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E91 / 340i B58 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
It's can still be a net carbon reduction because the ICE is so horribly inefficient. That a power plant is powered by fossil fuels doesn't mean that the EV that charges off of it doesn't represent a reduction in emissions over its gas powered counterpart.
This is a good point. It is indeed possible.
However, we can't just state that power plants have a higher energetical efficiency than individual cars (closer to maximal therical efficiency, see Carnot and all stuff), which is true, to conclude in a way or another.
To do so, we have to consider all the contributors to the global energy cost. Line loss as already stated (which has its counterpart with trucks dealing gas to stations), but also recharge efficiency, electric motors efficiency, battery production energetical cost (ICE production obviously costs as well), etc.

All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if global cost of primary energy is close for EVs and ICEVs.
- In case primary energy is fossil for both cases, carbon emissions would then be pretty close.
- In case primary energy is partly or fully nuclear for EVs, carbon emissions would then be lower for EVs.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50