01-29-2021, 01:54 PM   #36
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgf80 View Post
Exactly, the steering wheel ratio must be insanely tight for this to work. Personally, like others have said, i don't see how this passes safety regulation in case of an emergency and "autopilot" fails.
In case of emergency? Autopilot can in no way shape or form... autopilot the vehicle under tons of situations. ESPECIALLY in lower speed, tight turn situations. Plus even taking a giant leap and assuming full self driving will actually work by the time this is out (no way in hell). It's still a $10k addon so if you don't get it do you get a regular steering wheel?

I guess we shall see, however I remember when they first showed the model 3 people, including myself, said there was no way that would end up being the final product... but it was and honestly... I'm totally use to it and don't give it a second thought anymore.

My biggest concern is doing away with the gear selector and letting the car "predict" what gear you actually want. Not sure how well that's going to work and I'm curious where on the screen the selector will be. Hopefully it will be available at all times from the main screen.
Appreciate 0