View Single Post
      08-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
i would add complexity. As you move up a model or add options you add additional equipment and that means more items to possibly fail. I would also add whether it is a new model or an existing model. Consumer Reports says that most cars are least reliable in the first year of a model's production before they have worked out the kinks.

Finally, one needs to be careful with stats like JD Powers initial quality. there are initial problems and there are initial problems. An engine or transmission that fails is in a different ballpark from a front grill that doesn't close.
I think a while ago, we passed the complexity line where reliability cannot be expected down the road. The more complex the cars and the more performance they are squeezing out, the worse this gets generally. There are exceptions, but I think this headed down the wrong road a few years back and now there are new cars that you basically can't hold on to for more than a couple years, otherwise you are risking huge repair costs and issues...